|Whitby Census transcripts|
Before the setting up of Civil Registration in 1837 census returns were just a headcount, and no information on individuals was recorded. After 1837 census information was collected in units of Civil Parishes. The area of the current Whitby Town Council and the previous Whitby Urban District was comprised of three Civil Parishes before they were merged into one in 1925. Consequently, Census returns for Whitby are enumerated in three or four seperate parish returns.
Whitby Parish encompassed each side of the river, Ruswarp Parish stretched westwards from Silver Street and south from Victoria Square, and Hawsker-cum-Stainsacre Parish covered the East Cliff and Spital Bridge as well as Stainsacre and Hawsker. After 1894 the part of Hawsker within Whitby Urban District seperated off as Helredale Parish. In 1925 all three Whitby parishes were merged into Whitby Urban District, and in 1932 another small part of Hawsker was added to form the modern Whitby Town Council area.
Consequently, Whitby census returns are enumerated in three opr four seperate parish returns, Whitby, Ruswarp, Hawsker (later Helredale) and Aislaby.
|Census Transcripts||Parishes included||Transcripts available|
|Census1861||Whitby||Ruswarp||Hawsker||Aislaby||CSV file||(still editing)|
|Census1871||Sample of Whitby, Ruswarp||CSV file||(small sample)|
|Census1891||Whitby||Ruswarp||Hawsker||CSV file||text full transcripts|
|Census1901||Whitby||Ruswarp||Hawsker||CSV file||(still editing)|
|Census1911||Whitby||Ruswarp||Helredale||CSV file||(still editing)|
|Generated from other sources:|
|Census1941||There was no census taken in 1941 during the war, but a residents survey was taken in 1939.|
|Generated from electoral registers:|
|Census1951||Whitby||CSV file||(still compiling)|
|description of the CSV file format
||how the Whitby district boundaries changed over time
||Whitby census population totals
||Whitby census population totals spreadsheet